Monday, May 27, 2013

Arrested Development Season 4 Episodes 11-15 REVIEW


Episode 11 - A New Attitude - Gob 2

Gob's second episode picks up at a point in the season which primes him for success.  There's plenty of room for Gob to be an clueless idiot in the midst of this complex story.

Tony Wonder finally gets some good screen time, and it pays off. Some early mysteries are starting to be answered.

RATING - 7.25 out of 10

Episode 12 - Senoritis - Maeby

While not one of my personal favorite characters, they seem to keep her out of any annoying directions.  Her episode was solid, funny, and answered some questions. Though it didn't strive to the heights of some past episodes.

RATING - 7 out of 10

Episode 13 - It Gets Better - George-Michael

At this point in the season there's enough backstory established that all of the episodes have plenty of pay off.  Perhaps if this episode came earlier in the season it wouldn't have been as strong, but this episode benefits from some of the weaker episodes earlier on.  Likewise making us wait to see the answers to some questions was probably for the best.

RATING - 7.5 of out 10

Episode 14 - Off the Hook - Buster

I wasn't particular excited about this episode because I'm not a fan of Buster.  In small doses he's humorous, but typically he's a bit too over-the-top for my taste. To my surprise, this episode really worked.  I'm not sure why, but they found the right angle to make Buster relatable.

Once again we're starting to get more answers, but there's still a few more questions to be answered.

RATING - 7.25 - out of 10

Episode 15 - Block Heads - George-Michael

This might have been the funniest episode of the season for me. By this point in the season they've set so much up, there's constant pay-off. My wife who has only seen episode 1 walked in while I was watching a scene.  I was rolling over laughing, and she was just looking at me like I was insane.

Finally we get the full view of what has been going on. Well kind of.  Even as the season comes to a close, many plot lines are left unresolved.  Perhaps due to how complex the story telling was, I suspect I simply lost track of when some points were resolved.

My biggest complaint is that I didn't feel like they brought the season to a satisfying conclusion.  There wasn't any type of resolution to what happened. We simply get the next day.  As the final scene was coming to a close, right before it ended I had the thought, "O wait...this is going to be it. This is the end." And then it was over.

Then again my problem with this episode wasn't so much the episode itself so much as what came before it. While the season built great comedic setups, the plot didn't follow suit.

RATING - 8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment